The Watson Institute are calling all next-generation innovators, leaders, and social entrepreneurs ready to pioneer their education.
About the Watson Institute
Poverty and inequality. Natural disasters and ethnic conflict. Rapid urbanization and climate change. Globalized labor standards and cyber threats. Our increasingly interconnected 21st-century world is rife with challenges that affect us all. The Watson Institute for International and Public Affairs at Brown University seeks to promote a just and peaceful world through research, teaching, and public engagement.
The Semester Incubator
Watson Institute's Semester Incubator is a 4-month program preparing next-generation innovators and social entrepreneurs to launch social ventures and unleash a lifetime of impact.
College students and recent graduates with an early-stage social venture or project complete their Watson experience as a study away/abroad from a home university, gap semester before attending university, or as a 'pre-career' semester after their undergraduate degree.
During the 4-month intensive program, participants will embark on a journey that includes:
- A step-by-step methodology to rapidly and systematically validate your business model.
- Training in the process of building and strengthening an effective team that can pioneer new innovations and markets
- Testing your cost assumptions, developing a fundraising plan, creating an investors deck, and measuring impact metrics specifically to garner funder support.
- Framing solutions so they expose injustice and speak truth to power, incorporate positive psychology, and create better models and systems.
- Learning and applying entrepreneurial skills and mindset alongside a global community of like-minded and diverse peers.
- Connect with a powerful network of mentors and social entrepreneurs such as Jerry White, a leader of the Nobel Prize-winning International Campaign to Ban Landmines; Tom Chi who helped invent Google Glass and the self-driving car; and Erin Schrode, the youngest person to run for U.S. Congress.
The Watson Institute offers an OYW Maverick Scholarship which provides an automatic $5,000 scholarship to the Semester Incubator and $10,000/year scholarship to the Bachelor's Degree for any OYW member who is accepted to Watson Institute. The Maverick Scholarship is in addition to the merit and need-based financial aid provided by Watson Institute.
Applicants from One Young World simply need to choose 'One Young World' from the drop-down list on the application when applying.